FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Hello, newb checking in

<<

nine1524

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Hello, newb checking in

Hello, I wanted to make sure to follow forum manners and check in here!

I'm a proud Oregonian who has been bitten by the knife bug, though only recently have I started to tiptoe into the world of the balisong.

I came across your forum with a simple Google search for some basic beginner balisong tips/advice.

I am not even a real owner yet, let alone a flipper. I'm currently saving money for my first, most likely getting a morpho/bm51. The reasons I settled with this knife are the attractiveness, carry clip, and general fan of BM. I plan on carrying this knife so the clip and weight were important. I know some people have mixed opinions on flipping with it, but I figured since it's the knife I'll be learning on it may not be as huge of a factor as opposed to someone already accustomed to more traditional weights/styles. This make sense?

I would say that I planned on getting the knife before even getting into the Bali culture, though, if that makes sense. I got my first BM auto folder about 5 years ago and thus was addicted to higher end folders. I know to a lot of you this isn't high end, but I'm on a limited budget and used to never even know that a pocket knife reached $100, let alone multiple hundreds/thousands. My wife was not impressed with my first purchase...

Since then my collection now consists of:

BM 3550 auto
BM mini-grip
BM 940 Osborne
Spyderco ParaMilitary 2
Kershaw Leek
Couple other cheap Kershaws

Soooooo, what I meant by my above statement was that I was more looking to expand my collection's variety by adding a balisong rather than "I really want to get into flipping."

Of course this leads to hours and hours of catalog shopping, followed by hours and hours of review reading, followed by hours of YouTube watching, so on and so forth lol.

Next thing I know, I'm totally becoming immersed in this whole other subculture of knife owning and I want more!

I actually bought a cheap $10 piece tonight on the way home from work in anticipation of getting my next paycheck and splurging :-). I would love to say I haven't already knicked myself ~4 times in the first hour...

My other hobbies include Disc Golf, video games, shooting/bird hunting, and i used to play music but haven't really picked up an instrument in a good number of years.

Leave my sister alone. :-)

Any way, thanks for your time. Hope to talk soon.
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Hello, newb checking in

:welcome1:

Return to Introduce Yourself