FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Can you ID this blade?

Moderator: T-man

<<

bwdubcak

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Can you ID this blade?

Hey whats up, Brandon here.

I'm new to brokenbrains.. well, not really. I have brokenbrains in real life, just recently had a tumor removed from my brain stem in the 4th ventricle--benign in nature (luckily), but the latter part of it remains embedded in my brain stem as they didn't want to risk digging around and paralyzing me or killing me in efforts to remove all trace of the bastard tumor.. oddly enough, surfing the web for butterfly/balisongs I came across this page--it hit home needless to say!

I live in Texas--butterfly knives just recently became legal in this good ole state as of 9/1/13.

Just purchased my first from the local gun show, and it is a complete mystery to me as to the maker of this piece of work. It flips nicely (so far only a few cuts, knicks and stabs--sharp as f@#$!), but I haven't quite mastered the technique yet as seen in youtube videos from the pros using standard make models. Starting to think that the design of my piece is my setback as its increasingly difficult to twirl around a finger or go around the world. Feels like the safe handle is heavier than the bite handle (which is weird..). Other than that the design is quite solid, very little slop/play in the hinges (so far)--440 stainless (or so its stamped), smooth, fluid hinge construction and solid spacers on the slightly curved sandwich handles. the locking mechanism on the bite handle looks to be a cheap pewter cast and very loose--often times not staying locked when closed. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what lies beneath the hinges and gives it such smooth fluid motion, kinda waiting for it to work itself apart before i mess with it myself. Allen head screws on the backside (not pictured) of the rounded screws that attach handles to blade.

Take a look at the pic and tell me if you've ever seen any like this one. If so, who owns the rights to this beast?

heres a link to the pic in case it wont load above: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B392eIE ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
-b

Also--I'm left handed, which really screws me up trying to replicate tricks in the tutorial videos as most all of them are done right handed.. just doesn't translate to my left hand! maybe that's another sign of my brokenbrains. ha.
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Can you ID this blade?

:welcome1:

xposting this to the Knives forum.

This looks to be what you have:
http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Silver-S ... less--6171

It's a copy of... Something familiar. I want to say Guinn, as he did a lot a asymmetrical stuff like that, and some of it was indeed copied, but I can't think of anything just like that.
<<

DCXXVI

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:56 pm

i was about to say the same thing jason said its a CCC known as the silver spark
<<

Jason

Owner

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Oh, and as for flipping it, asymmetrical handles can be weird. Not terribly difficult, just weird.
<<

bwdubcak

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:09 am

Sweet, thanks! I looked all over for this knife... hadn't run across bladeplay website thus far though--definitely one I'll be checking out!
-b

Return to The Knives We Flip