FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

managed to find a few goodies at a local gun and knife show

Moderator: T-man

<<

jack10685

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:33 am

managed to find a few goodies at a local gun and knife show

Hey, I know I don't post much, but I have to share this somewhere because none of my friends are into balisongsas much as I am. My dad dragged me to a gun and knife show yesterday for some "father-son bonding time", I was cool with it because I am a knife fan and wanted to see what they had. Walking around a bit, found a benchmade stand (almost considered buying a 62, after he offered me a discount for being the only person there who knew how to flip), a few stands selling obvious fakes and cheapos, etc. Just before we left, I found another knife stand that had an entire are for balisongs, so ofc I gravitated to that part of it. For the most part, it was your cheap $15 - $30 knives, until I found this fucker -
I kind of scanned past it at first, but literally did a double take after and fell. Talked with the stand owner for a bit, this guy knew what he was talking about with them, and pulled out a legit pacific cutlery model 160 (with original box and papers). Not sure if its because I knew my shit (unlike others in my area) or because he really wanted a sale, but he sold me the arc angel for $300, instead of the $485 price tag. Just wanted to put this somewhere.
<<

nuts4knives

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Re: managed to find a few goodies at a local gun and knife s

I know these are suppose to be great flippers but I just can't believe the prices they are going for. How much were these new? How long ago did they get discontinued and why? Most cold steel knives are like $50 tops so I'm just curious to know a little more about them. Wish I'd have gotten one back when they were in production.lol
<<

jack10685

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:37 am

New, I believe they were $150 I think back in production, and they stopped production I'm 2006 (to my knowledge), but it's a great flipper, very little handle play, good weight, worth the price imo. Only problem is that the clip is on the safe handle, which feels awkward at times. I heard they were discontinued for multiple reasons, one being not as good sales as they hoped, another is that they are based in California and they had to outsource their balisong making to Florida and that made things harder, etc.
<<

hannam72

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:48 am

Wow thats a hell of a deal! These seem to be popping up again lately. I wish I could find one, and just curious what state was the knife show in? I'm in CT and never been to one, but if there are gems like that at knife shows around here I'd be willing to make a trip.
<<

jack10685

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:46 pm

It was in Florida lol, so it depends on how far you'd want to travel. We have gun and knife shows every 2 months or so, and you can manage to find a gem like this every so often, apparently. Every stand I went to that sold higher quality balisongs was giving me discounts just for knowing how to use them and general knowledge about them (a benchmade stand offered me a 62 and a bear and sons for $300 flat).
<<

hannam72

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Yea Florida would be quite the haul for me. The only reason I haven't checked around CT already is because I've never met anyone around here that flips so I don't know how popular it would be at knife shows.
<<

jack10685

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:20 am

It's the same way down here, I only know 2 people that flip, and neither have ever had anything better than one of those cheap $10 knives that break monthly (and can only do beginner things). You never know what you can find, lol.
<<

hannam72

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:09 pm

I don't even know 2 lol. I just met a few people on the forums, but I've gotten pretty into just by myself. I got a 42 that should actually be here tomorrow for a pretty good deal(not as good a deal as your AA).
<<

nuts4knives

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:18 pm

After I posted above I read someplace that these were titanium. I would have never guessed that cold steel would have used titanium on these since they still use exclusively aus 8 in all there blades that I am aware of. I never really took them seriously. If they are ti I can see this being a $300-$400 knife now since it's discontinued and because of the fact that there is probably way fewer of these out there then 4X's and look what they fetch now. I too would like to get my hands on one but for the price they are fetching now I want a tach 2 more.lol If I had extra funds it would be a great collectors piece
<<

jack10685

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24 am

nuts4knives wrote:After I posted above I read someplace that these were titanium. I would have never guessed that cold steel would have used titanium on these since they still use exclusively aus 8 in all there blades that I am aware of. I never really took them seriously. If they are ti I can see this being a $300-$400 knife now since it's discontinued and because of the fact that there is probably way fewer of these out there then 4X's and look what they fetch now. I too would like to get my hands on one but for the price they are fetching now I want a tach 2 more.lol If I had extra funds it would be a great collectors piece

only their handles are titanium, the blades are Carbon V
<<

nuts4knives

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:59 pm

jack10685 wrote:
nuts4knives wrote:After I posted above I read someplace that these were titanium. I would have never guessed that cold steel would have used titanium on these since they still use exclusively aus 8 in all there blades that I am aware of. I never really took them seriously. If they are ti I can see this being a $300-$400 knife now since it's discontinued and because of the fact that there is probably way fewer of these out there then 4X's and look what they fetch now. I too would like to get my hands on one but for the price they are fetching now I want a tach 2 more.lol If I had extra funds it would be a great collectors piece

Right, that is what I meant. From what I understand even carbodized ti doesn't hold an edge like a good steal and would make a bali way to blade light so I doubt it would be a favorable blade steel for a flipper. It would probably be a pretty tough blade though as far as no worries of it snapping the tip off when dropped. I just meant that cold steel isn't known for using exotic steals or ti on any of there knives as far as I know so I was surprised to hear these had ti handles. It's a shame they don't make any real bali's anymore.
<<

jack10685

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 am

nuts4knives wrote:
jack10685 wrote:

Right, that is what I meant. From what I understand even carbodized ti doesn't hold an edge like a good steal and would make a bali way to blade light so I doubt it would be a favorable blade steel for a flipper. It would probably be a pretty tough blade though as far as no worries of it snapping the tip off when dropped. I just meant that cold steel isn't known for using exotic steals or ti on any of there knives as far as I know so I was surprised to hear these had ti handles. It's a shame they don't make any real bali's anymore.

if they did, I'd have no money left, lol
<<

techubr

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Very nice find. :respect:
Taping The Blade Since Day 1.

Return to The Knives We Flip