FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Tips on Video Making

Moderator: slashncut

<<

white_star_32

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Tips on Video Making

whoa!!! fridge!!! damn...you've arrived...

I have a some leftover carpet squares from work when we moved into the new office... :?
"Before you say anything, know that mattresses are very dangerous and cunning fighters."
<<

Ozzie Sandoval

Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:21 pm

We actually have 3 fridges in our house. 1 in the kitchen (just for drinks), 1 in the garage and another fridge style freezer next to the fridge you see in the garage (my old man loves fishing).

My set up is an overkill for filming balisong videos, I use it for photography. But If I ever start making videos (or get good enough) I'll use it.
I can do chaplins with my penis
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:13 pm

heres what i got.
i wanted the "dark" look vincent gets i should have takin another video of what it looks like but here what i have

any tips?
fke
<<

Nardath

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 pm

FkeSpydrFly wrote:heres what i got.
i wanted the "dark" look vincent gets i should have takin another video of what it looks like but here what i have

any tips?

wow that is def better than any other vid that has come from you Fke, good job.
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

sheneniganer

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:29 pm

+1, looked pretty damn good to me
6 Out of 18. What are you?
/ Rolling with the cutting edge of a new order.
<<

Ozzie Sandoval

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:07 pm

If you want the background to look more black, set a background fabric like muslin or something like felt or velvet type, it absorbs light rather than reflecting it.

Also, if you set the background further away from you, the light fall off is more crucital therefore anything further back gets darker.

Also, adjusting the lights, instead of having them pointed straight, like the camera view) get them pointing like an X. 2 on each side of you and pointing towards the other direction. For instance, think of a room. It has 4 corners. Place 1 light at 1 corner and have it pointing towards the corner furthest away (across the room). and do the same with the other light. Therefore you still get light, however the background gets less light.

Here is an example:

When it comes to lighting I know a lot, however I know nothing about video, only photography, but the lighting situation works the same way regardless.

Edit* By the way, the video looked good, I just figured you said you wanted the vincent dark look and his is all black, so I tried to give tips on how to make it look that way, but the way it looks in your video is good enough.
<<

sheneniganer

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:56 pm

awesome information dude thanks!
6 Out of 18. What are you?
/ Rolling with the cutting edge of a new order.
<<

GreG

Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Funny and amazing. Good thread, i actually work for the same way, the quality. And it's difficult to have Good light, a good " black" color in the background... Convertion and codecs are important too. Very more of work about quality than flipping.
Oh, and for my video, yes, exactly, the cam was above my head, with a system very difficult..." telescopic arm" ....( I don't have translator...), and a GPS car support...sick system... :lol: and very long to put in place...
<<

GreG

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:47 am

Sorry for the double post...
I managed to have something correct in my last video the light is essential, and a good conversion, WMV with codec MPeg-2, 1280*720,16/9, 29.97 fps, bitrate 9000 Kbps conversion with " free video to converter ", and editind with "Sony vega" with a cheap camera the result is not bad at all.

The video in 1080 on Youtube :TU:
Sorry for the title....
<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:15 pm

good videos guys!!....it's great to see people getting into the production side of things.

as fas as getting your backgrounds to be as dark as my vids.
Listen to the lighting tips that Ozzie listed...he pointed out some great tips especially about the reflection properties.
Also, in my basic video tips video...the angles and the lights that i showed in that video is pretty much the way i have them angled for a majority of my vids. only making minor adjustments to the direction of the light itself for certain moves or if i'm standing, sitting, etc. but the position of the lights is almost always the same.
I also make a lot of use out of using a ground light and having it angled upwards diagonally towards the main focus of where the move is taking place..i like the effect it gives off, as the main source lighting is coming from underneath the hand and knife.

I also never have the lights angled directly at the background as it will cause glare and hotspots, and it will make it harder to get the "all black" look

Also, make use of color correction when you are editing!! adjust your brightness and contrast and color setting in your editing software...with some software..you may have save the color correction for the last step before rendering....otherwise, with some software set ups, if you color correct before you add any effects or transitions or editing...it will glitch, and all you will get is a white overlay over your entire vid.

I usually use very very little color correction on my videos...i still use it, but the adjustment i have to make is very minimal, as my raw footage with the way i position my lights almost automatically gets the "all black" look...this is because i don't drown my shot with a ton of lighting... there is no need to have every light you own on your shot all pointing at the same focal point. I use 3 light sources and they each cover a different area and angle.

If you watched my tip video, you noticed that i said i use that window a lot for natural lighting....when i want an all black shot, i shoot at night time when there is no light coming thru that window...i can still get an all black background if i shoot in the daytime...but there will be a lot more color correcting and adjustments to make,and i might not be able to get completely black without makin everything else too dark as well and losing some clarity... but i will get a more even coverage and more natural colored lighting...so it's a tradeoff depending on what i am trying to achieve overall for the shot.
however daytime filming and using my window lighting...is great for shots in which i am not using a background and just using the blank wall as the background...that window faces east...so usually at 2-5 pm...the lighting is good enough that i don't use any other lighting in the room at all..just the window.

spyderflys vid is basically what my vids would look like if i filmed with natural daylight coming from the window and all my room lights on and did not use any color correcting while i was editing, so you can see the dramatic difference that color correcting can make when editing videos. while the video still looked good, and already made a substantial jump in production by using a background...think about how much better it would look after some brightness and contrast adjustments

and gregs vid has a bit of a hotspot on the left side, which is often cause by having too much light aimed at your background instead of having the light coming in from the sides or at more of a diagonal pitch. Don't know if it was color corrected at all or if it just had ambient room lighting with one stronger light source coming in from the right...if it had been color corrected, the hotspot could have been to harsh and after the corrections, it would still show up as brown on the video, and give off the mosaic or blocky effect as well. still a great looking video though

some other tips to take note of...if you are filming with a black background and color correcting...really think about what moves you will be filming...and at what angles the blade and handles will be facing during the entire shot, and then adjust your lighting accordingly. your knife, the blade especially when mixed with lighting, has a tendency to reflect the background ..in this case, back. so at certain moments during your routine, if you are filming close up shots, parts of your knife may seem to disappear in the black background. my vids have several examples of this effect happening..hah

also, when you do find that sweet spot and get your lighting angles down perfect with no glare, wash-out, hotspots, and nice even color and coverage....take extensive notes on the exact angles and positions of the lights and camera. Sometimes when i look thru old clips on my hard drive..i see some shots with perfect lighting...but i can never re-create it cause i wasn't paying attention to what i was doing when i filmed it.
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 pm

what exactly is color correction and does windows movie
maker have it?
fke
<<

Ozzie Sandoval

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Color correction would be in post processing. I doubt movie maker would have it (from when I used to use Windows XP, I did not see it). Final cut, premier pro, etc would have it. It's color correct, saturation, contrast, hues, etc.

If youre about to film, it is always best to use a white shirt/ white piece of paper and get a manual white balance so blacks/whites and colors are more real to what they really are. If not, you can also spot meter.

I wish I had enough time to explain lighting. Lighting is going to play the biggest part I believe.
I've shot for a few magazines, catalogs, products, and resturant menus.

Play around with lighting and angles, the best way to learn is to try 1 way, if it doesnt work change try different light angles.

Back to studying for my Server and Security final :(

If in doubt post a video and some of us can give you tips on what to do to fix it. I might make a video this weekend to try to help as well. Vincent dark basically has it on lock, his tutorial works, his videos look amazing.
<<

Vincent_Dark

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:21 pm

@fke i've never used wmm and i doubt it would have proper color correction tools on it...but i would imagine it would have a basic brightness and contrast setting....and when you are using a black background...that is basically all you need.
"Traveling at the speed of dark"
agent number 4..I /rollz for the lulz...a new standard has been set.
This message was brought to you by your friends, at the other side.
<<

knifezoid

Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Excellent vids. Greg love your style. You make a transfer look very flashy and smooth.
The vid looked great. All this info is great. I'm really happy to see people taking off with
all of it. It's a HUGE step in the right direction. :TU:

Guns for show, knives for a pro. ( [X] )
<<

knifezoid

Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:02 pm

FkeSpydrFly wrote:what exactly is color correction and does windows movie
maker have it?

Just get Sony Vegas Basic. Very quick to pick up the basics and the effects are
enough to clean up any footage.

Guns for show, knives for a pro. ( [X] )
PreviousNext

Return to The Art of Flipping