FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Knuckle Bruising?

Moderator: slashncut

<<

petrichor

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:47 am

Knuckle Bruising?

I am as new as you can get; I only started flipping last night and this morning. I'm using a (probably fake) MTech Twist and I can do the basic vertical and basic horizontal open/close but my hands are really bony and my middle and pointer finger knuckles are starting to bruise. Am I doing it wrong? I was thinking maybe I should wear some boxing hand wraps (yeah, I'm definitely not the coolest kid in class needing to wear padding to flip a balisong, I am well aware). Or is this part of the process? I read lots of threads on cuts but nothing on bruising. Thanks.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Knuckle Bruising?

Its basically a part of the learning curve....eventually you will automatically use your index finger between the blade/handle to block your knuckle, and other moves will be more fluid inwhich you miss entirely........honestly theres no explaining what to do, its not exactley a technique.....just time....good luck
<<

Viceroy

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:34 pm

I never got any bruises but it did ache for the first few days. After that no problems. Then, I don't have bony hands.
<<

Klockwyse

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 am

Nope... Never heard of it.

<<

Wheelman185

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm

The more finesse you use in flipping will still accelerate it fast a smooth without using excessive force. It's just a learned thing. Just like...

shooting pool
golf swing
bottle cap opening tricks with a speed opener
etc etc

You'll still mess yourself up, but just less.
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

newflipper

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Be thankful for the bruising. All I do is bleed.
<<

JJhamilton

Post Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:55 pm

This is the way the art of flipping weeds out to leave only the dedicated....i promise it will eventually end....the bruises will go away, and the cuts will get deeper, but less frequent.....
<<

balifreak23

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 pm

eventually like jj said you will get past the bruising stage and the paper cuts stage and get whichever moves your working on down, a high probability of your bruising is probably using to much force vs. momentum. when you get farther into the hobby you will most likely not get cut much unless trying new moves and you should outgrow bruising as long as you are using the correct form! good luck!!!
Seriously though if you wanted advice on how to fight.... go with the Bitch Slap as he won't be expecting that and it would be funny as fuck.
A full force slap across the chops then run like the wind.
Bitch Slap my friend.. it never fails. - c.wigum

Return to The Art of Flipping