FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Cannot get the Helix

Moderator: slashncut

<<

carlosj116

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:10 am

Cannot get the Helix

When I try a Helix, i cant get the index finger to thumb transfer part, is there something you need to do as well as switching finger?
Thanks,
Carl
<<

balifreak23

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:12 am

Re: Cannot get the Helix

when you have your pointer finger inbetween the handles try swinging the handles at a slight angle upwards then after the blade passes get your thumb under the handles after that wrist pass. there are tutorials if you havn't seen them already! sometime it helps when going from the pointer to thumb to connect them for a second until the thumb is in place. if you havn't got the 8ball down yet id suggest learning that first. Good luck
Seriously though if you wanted advice on how to fight.... go with the Bitch Slap as he won't be expecting that and it would be funny as fuck.
A full force slap across the chops then run like the wind.
Bitch Slap my friend.. it never fails. - c.wigum
<<

carlosj116

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks, got it now lol and yeah ive got the 8 ball, i can do helix aerials but i couldnt do the helix, in hindsight i should have learnt zero g chaplins before the helix
<<

Wheelman185

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 pm

balifreak23 wrote:when you have your pointer finger inbetween the handles try swinging the handles at a slight angle upwards then after the blade passes get your thumb under the handles after that wrist pass. there are tutorials if you havn't seen them already! sometime it helps when going from the pointer to thumb to connect them for a second until the thumb is in place. if you havn't got the 8ball down yet id suggest learning that first. Good luck

Yeah agreed!

Getting Bt8B down helped me learn the Helix literally the next day. IMO the finger motion you make to hold the rollover and position it to transfer takes less force on the 8 Ball then the Helix. Once you get that down you just apply it to the Helix w/ appropriate force and it just goes.

Then you might as well practice the Helix strung to the 8Ball so you practice the 8 ball still. That's what I do at least. Everyday I try to do 10 in a row w/o fail. Gets pretty hard after #6 or 7 to me right now. I also consider myself a noob flipper though. Those two moves don't look as clean as it should......yet! :)
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!
<<

Viceroy

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:35 pm

I learned Helix over the course of a few days then picked up 8-ball in minutes, yet I can't Chaplin for shit.

Vincent said in his tutorial to make sure to touch your index and thumb together for that transfer, he said it really helped him learn and helped me too. Lets get a real comfortable grip on the knife so you know how it should land after the roll over the index.
<<

HollowPsyche

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:21 pm

I completely agre with this post. Got Behind the 8-Ball pretty easily, but I struggle with the exact same thing you're talking about.
<<

jaggerbean

Post Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:57 pm

oddly enough i had most of BT8B beforei tried the helix and i ended up getting the Helix first i had problems with timing though i kept going for the transfer before the blade was going to be able to pass the wrist on the transfer, and even wierder i was having transfer problems with BT8B but not with the Helix. maybe im just special :clap:
<<

Wheelman185

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Most of it IMO is the the momentum from the Y2K, and nailing the transfer at the right moment. I normally just practice both Bt8B and Helix at the same time. My routine consists of a Y2K into Bt8b, straight into the Helix.
-Wheel

Just started flipping? Hard to find decent Balis in the $30-$60 range? The Search Ends Here!

Don't hold out for a BM42! Take that $400+ you are planning on spending and go get in line for an Alpha Beast! You won't be disaponted!

Return to The Art of Flipping