FAQ  •  Czat  •  Register  •  Login

Tutorials that need to be made in 2011.

Moderator: slashncut

<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Tutorials that need to be made in 2011.

Tutorials have a tremendous impact, more than most people realize. It seems to me the status of balisong manipulation is in a lot of ways a reflection of the tutorials that are available. This can be seen with twirl scissoring, which has become one of the most popular and widespread aerial variations. Why has this trick become so popular in routines while others remain unseen? I think because twirl scissoring has the most tutorials made for it. The first twirl scissoring tutorial was uploaded to the internet by Murnax, along with this he also uploaded another aerial scissor variation. However Murnax's second scissor variation remains relatively rare because that was the last tutorial for it, while twirl scissoring was featured again in multiple videos by Entropyspigot, and then had two very well made tutorials done by Slash'n Cut and Knifezoid.

What separates a well-made tutorial from a bad one is in my opinion just the commentary. When someone posts themselves doing a trick without talking or explaining anything, that isn't a tutorial, that's just showing that something can be done. To be good, a tutorial doesn't have to be shot in HD or have multiple angles like Calvin Nation does with his (although that makes them even better), it only has to have talking. Two of the tutorials that have helped me the most are the Helix tuto done by FenixFire and the Behind the 8-Ball tuto done by FaultyPly. Neither were overly impressive from a cinematography standpoint but they were helpful because they talked and explained the tricks well.

As far as I know, (and I could be wrong because I'm really not on youtube or the internet that much anymore so someone may have recently made a tuto that I don't know about), Helix style aerials, reverse Chaplins (Entropyspigot does this), and Chaplins that change fingers still don't have good videos explaining them. In addition to this there are a lot of silent tutos out there that could benefit by being redone with talking, like those that Kevin Slater put up. Logan has some decent tutos of Kevin Slater's moves but they still have no talking. I think it would help to have someone giving commentary on all these silent vids, not only explaining and giving advice on the trick but talking about the context of the trick and its history.
<<

FkeSpydrFly

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Tutorials that need to be made in 2011.

I may put up a helix style aerial tutorial
Reverse chaplains are self explanatory IMO there is no way to explain Chaplin transfers

But you seem to know what you are talking about why don't you put some up?
fke
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 pm

I agree that the idea of reverse Chaplins are self-explanatory, "you just do Chaplins in the opposite direction". However, a tutorial could still help a lot in giving pointers, especially explaining how the movement is different from standard Chaplins. I think the move may be harder for people because they've already have learned to do Chaplins in that direction and it's been so ingrained. I also think there must be a way to explain Chaplin transfers, at least someone could explain what movements they're making.

I have no internet access at home right now, I'm at the library right now. Furthermore I haven't learned a lot of the moves that need tutorials. Still, I will see if I can upload a detailed tuto on the back-knuckle aerial from a friend's house. It's a fairly basic move but I have gotten pretty good at it and I have developed a different and superior technique than how Heath did the trick in his tuto, a tuto which just consists of him saying "back-knuckle aerial" and doing the move.
<<

c.wigum

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:17 pm

I have not seen fuck all tutorials for scissoring. Kz and slash, that's about it. I personally don't watch alot of tutorials but the ones I do watch I prefer them to get to the point instead of talking about it for 5 mins before you get to see the move. My idea of a good tutorial is showing the trick a couple of times, full speed, maybe from a couple of angles, then slowing it down so each part can be seen. I don't like to be spoon feed so prefer less talk. Some things just don't need explaining.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

penguinpanda0

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:20 am

A good palmspin tutorial is necesary from what I've heard..
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:02 pm

c.wigum wrote:I have not seen fuck all tutorials for scissoring. Kz and slash, that's about it. I personally don't watch alot of tutorials but the ones I do watch I prefer them to get to the point instead of talking about it for 5 mins before you get to see the move. My idea of a good tutorial is showing the trick a couple of times, full speed, maybe from a couple of angles, then slowing it down so each part can be seen. I don't like to be spoon feed so prefer less talk. Some things just don't need explaining.

Some things don't need explaining, but I believe the more advanced balisong tricks do. People can learn from just watching moves in silent slow-motion, sure, but it will take much longer, and the majority of viewers may become discouraged because they won't have as concrete an understand of what they're trying to learn. If someone puts out a video and expressly labels it a "tutorial", then viewers shouldn't have to do a forensic analysis on the footage to understand what's happening. I'm not saying spoon-feed things, or talk for 5 minutes before even showing the move Cutlerylover style, but I do think some talking is necessary in a tutorial to discuss salient aspects of the trick. Slow motion can be a helpful learning tool, but that should come secondary to talking.

KZ and Slash have made excellent tutorials for twirl scissoring. Bitehandle has also made an excellent tutorial for the Van Gogh. What are the two non-basic aerials seen most commonly in videos? Twirl scissoring and the Van Gogh. Coincidence? These tutorials have a huge impact on the entire balisong culture. I also think part of the reason France is so far ahead of the US in balisong flipping is because they have some really good tutorials over there that are presented in a very systematic and organized way.

Penguinpanda0, I agree, palmspin needs a tutorial. My small list of moves needing tutos was by no means comprehensive. I think hand transfer aerials like the kind GregeuG does could also use a tuto.
<<

c.wigum

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm

I hear what you are saying. I just think that it is also nice to work some things out for yourself.

Such as horizontal scissoring. It took me an age to figure out excatly what to do. There are no tutorials on it, but now that i have learnt it it is very satisfying.

Just my personal preference. I like to watch vids of flipping, that's where I get my ideas from, more so than tutorials.
10 out of ?.. Roll/.. ALWAYS!!! blow on the pie (safer communities together)
<<

slashncut

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 am

yeah, I promised to make a helix aerial tuto, just don't get around to it. I pretty much only flip during the weekends, and my weekends have been rather busy lately, but I'll try to put one up sooner rather than later
FATOC 2009 first place
FATOC 2010 first place
FATOC 2011 first place(shared)
<<

Nardath

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:32 am

slashncut wrote:yeah, I promised to make a helix aerial tuto, just don't get around to it. I pretty much only flip during the weekends, and my weekends have been rather busy lately, but I'll try to put one up sooner rather than later

Ever noticed how I do it differently then you? (helix aerial)
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

Arcbaliangel

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 pm

heys guys i ahve a tutorial on chaplin transfers and scissoring

Flipping isn't a Crime, But not Flipping is ;]
<<

pygmy_marmoset

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks ArcBaliAngel. Lately I've not had a computer so I haven't been able to watch any tutos, but I plan to use your tutos in the future. Thanks for your contribution and help.
<<

Looseyfur

Full of Smiles and Sunshine.

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:52 pm

[quote="pygmy_marmoset"]

I also think part of the reason France is so far ahead of the US in balisong flipping is because they have some really good tutorials over there that are presented in a very systematic and organized way.
.[/quotes]

is so far ahead?
I dont see that. if so then lets settle a claim like that with videos.

OG Loosey
"Loosey will throw down meat grinders in his wheelchair".
~Faultyply

Slaver: what is -=BRS=- ?
DeadPuppy: the future for balisongs

i blew the lid off of balisong-techniques.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

Nardath

Post Sat May 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Ive been trying to do Chaplin to Aerials FOREVER, can someone do a tutt?
ImageImage
Third at FATOC 11'
Looseyfur wrote:the lord satan invents all tricks then he gives them to top flippers in the form of superpowers to be manifiest into reality from the nightmare realm.
<<

GetTheFood11

Post Sun May 15, 2011 9:45 am

Nardath wrote:Ive been trying to do Chaplin to Aerials FOREVER, can someone do a tutt?

I can, I was just trying those out recently because I saw that BalianFabisong guy on youtube doing them and they aren't too hard once you get the hang of them.
<<

Palethius

Post Sun May 15, 2011 8:17 pm

GetTheFood11 wrote:
Nardath wrote:Ive been trying to do Chaplin to Aerials FOREVER, can someone do a tutt?

I can, I was just trying those out recently because I saw that BalianFabisong guy on youtube doing them and they aren't too hard once you get the hang of them.

ArcBaliAngel actually asked me to do tut on the one I do in my vids. If that is what youre refering to... I should be able to get it done this week sometime.

Edit: Done. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzAeDusuCUI&sns=em
#16 huh? /rollin' somethin' for the future....
Next

Return to Flipping Tutorials